Everyone knows you can never be too careful when it comes to safety in the workplace. Hundreds of business owners every year find themselves tied up in workman’s comp claims for hours upon days, not to mention the money they spend in the process.
Construction sites, shipping plants and shipyards are just a few of the industries that fall victim to workplace injuries every year. These accidents don’t always just stop with an injury – some turn out to be fatal.
If you’re a commercial business owner, especially falling into one of those three categories, you’ve probably got employees working at heights of six feet or higher. What’s the significance of that height? Six feet means your workplace falls into OSHA’s “Six Foot Rule”, which means you’d better have sustainable, non-penetrating safety rails to protect your employees.
Need for Removable Rooftop Guardrail System
The short answer? Absolutely. Come to think of it, that’s the long answer too. Let us explain.
Removable roof safety rails at any height above six feet is an efficient, sustainable way to guarantee your employees won’t be falling to their uncertain doom anytime soon. As business owners and managers, you’ve got enough on your plate simply running your day-to-day business operations. The last thing you need to be thinking about is whether or not Joe in Shipping is going to take a wrong step and plummet to a six-month paid vacation, courtesy of you.
Can’t I Just Put Some Chain Link Up?
Well, you could. That is, if you want to open yourself up to hundreds of potential lawsuits, a damaged reputation, and an overall unsafe working environment.
Let’s face it – there are no shortcuts worth taking when it comes to safety of your employees. Sure, you may save some time and money up front, but the headaches (and not to mention, legal issues) you’ll face in the aftermath far outweigh a few saved dollars. What could you be looking at as a result of cutting corners when it comes to a safe workplace?
- Legal Issues – If someone takes a fall on your watch, you can bet they’ll be holding you responsible for it. Without a removable safety railing in place for protection against falls, you’re leaving yourself vulnerable to future legal action.
- Wasted Money – Of course, with any set of legal troubles comes a costly defense. Not only are you running the risk of having to pay for damages if and when you lose a suit, but you’ll also be providing your own legal costs out of pocket too.
- Inefficiency – Losing a key member of your workforce can be devastating to the overall productivity of your business. Not to mention the potential of OTHER workers walking out the door because they too feel unsafe.
- OSHA Citations – An OSHA citation is a surefire way to make sure you’re spending plenty of company (or personal) funds to pay up. OSHA also requires citations to be posted at or near the place of the original infraction, so everyone will know about the safety shortcomings in your workplace.
Things to Look For
There are few different ways for you to go when dealing with rooftop safety railings. There’s plenty to consider when it comes to figuring out what to purchase, but we took the hard work out of the equation for you and narrowed it down to some of the most important things to take into consideration:
- OSHA Compliance – This is arguably the most important thing to think about when looking for the perfect removable safety railings for your workplace. Aside from doing their job and keeping your employees safe, the proper removable rooftop guardrail system will keep your organization OSHA compliant – in essence keeping it open for business.
- Quality Materials – Safety is obviously something you shouldn’t be trying to cut back costs on, and this is no different. Look for a removable railing system that’s made from high quality materials, and is certified and inspected by a third party organization.
- Style – Nobody is expecting you to throw an eyesore onto the top of your building. After all, it’s first impressions that are everything when it comes to new and continued business. Look for a railing system that comes with a sleek powder coating – some may even let you customize the look to match the colors of your business!
- Non-Penetrating Safety Rails – A non-penetrating safety rail means you won’t have to bore through your rooftop surface to install it. This means you’re not compromising the rest of your structural safety for the sake of increasing it somewhere else. You’re also going to be cutting down on installation time – a definite plus when it comes to cost and efficiency.
So, What’s the Best Bet?
Everyone’s situation is always different, and you’ll want to analyze your individual organization’s needs before making a purchase. Make sure you fully understand what you’ll be needing before diving headfirst into spending money.
That being said, a 360 mobile safety railing is among the best choices when it comes to rooftop protection.
Sturdy cast iron bases for the system keep the railings in place, without requiring you to drill into your rooftop. The 360 bases allow for easy installation – you probably won’t need more than one or two people to get the job done in a timely manner. Not to mention most 360 mobile safety railing systems double as either a permanent solution at leading edges, skylights and roof hatches, or a temporary solution at construction sites or shipping and receiving areas.
It is clear that when you’re thinking about potential rooftop safety measures, removable rooftop safety railings will offer the best, most sustainable solution for your organization. They’ll provide an unmatched level of safety for employees – and just as importantly, keep you as a business owner out of the courthouse.
Keeping your organization consistently updated when it comes to OSHA compliance is also among the top benefits of utilizing a removable rooftop guardrail system. Don’t cut corners on the safety of your workers and the reputation of your business!