When you hold a comprehensive car insurance policy, you may make a claim after you have had an accident. How to claim car insurance is not a puzzle, but does involve some groundwork on your part.
How to Get Insurance Benefits
You can undergo a car insurance claim process if your car insurance plan covers costs that result due to your car being involved in an accident. If you want to get the benefits that a car insurance policy offers you, you must make a claim with your insurer immediately following the accident.
If the insurance company discovers that your claim is authentic, they will process the claim, paying for any damages to your car and to you. Making a claim involves a standard procedure, no matter which insurer you hold an insurance plan with.
The Car Insurance Claim Process
There are specific steps you need to follow to make a claim with your insurance company after an accident has taken place. The general steps in the insurance claim process are detailed below:
- Inform your insurance company immediately after the car accident has occurred. You can do this via the insurer’s website or customer service number.
- At the nearest police station, you must file an FIR.
- Make sure that you note down the details of the car, the driver, and the names of witnesses contained in the FIR.
- You can then file an insurance claim with your car insurance company.
- The car insurance company will send a surveyor to assess the damage.
- Get your car repaired.
- Along with the documents required, including the FIR, you may file the claim online.
- After a brief verification process, your claim will be processed.
How to claim car insurance does not involve any complicated processes. However, if you have opted for a cashless claim process, your car insurance company will settle claims directly with the garage or repair shop where you have got your car fixed. For a reimbursement claim process, you will have to submit original bills and receipts to get costs reimbursed by your insurance company.
Documentation Required for a Claim Process
During the car insurance claim process, your insurance company requires that you submit specific documentation when you make your claim. Apart from filling up a particular claim form, the following documents must be provided to your insurer:
- Your car insurance policy
- In case a third party is the cause of damage to your car or you, you need to file a First Information Report or FIR at the closest police station, and submit this document with your claim.
- Your claim form, duly filled and signed.
- Your car details, including registration certificate
- A copy of your driving license
- A detailed estimation of your repair work, or bills and receipts
- In case of any physical injuries, you need to present medical documents and bills
- All original documents in case of any other expenses
Car Insurance Claims Made Easy
If you love driving and want to purchase a car, you must have the best coverage to protect your vehicle. The car insurance claim process is made easier, and you can file a claim conveniently online. Insurance companies have your back when it comes to car insurance.